Angkor is one of the few archeological sites that can actually be seen from outer space. It is the largest historic site of over 400 sites that are listed in the UNESCO World heritage list (UNESCO: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization).
Angkor means “city or capital”; it was a glorious period of the Khmer empire for 6 century from 802 to 1431.
Angkor Thom is 1.7 km north of Angkor Wat. It was built by King Jayavarman VII (1181-1220) for dedicating to Mahayana Buddhism. Angkor Thom means ‘Great City’, the last capital of Angkor. It served as the religious and administrative centre of Khmer Empire. The capital was bigger than city in Europe at the time. The population in the city may have been as high as one million.
It is just 500 meters north-east of Pre Rup. Eastern Mebon was built by king Rajendravarman II (944-968) for dedicating to Siva, Hindu god, and his ancestors in memory of the king’s parents in 952. Pre Rup and Mebon were built by the same king, but Eastern Mebon built on the island of Eastern Baray, a large hand made reservoirs call ‘Yasodharatadaka’ 7000 meters by 1800.
It takes around 30 minutes to 1 hour to visit it. Pre Rup was built in the middle of the 10th century by king Rajendravarman II (944 – 968). He moved his capital from Koh Ker, 70 km from Angkor, to Angkor. Pre Rup was his state temple of his city that means he built this temple in the center of the capital.
Preah Khan is a modern name means ‘sacred sword’ of Khmer kingdom, a copy of which is kept in the Royal Palace in Phnom Penh. The original name is Nagarajayashri means ‘the fortunate city of victory’. It was built by king Jayavarman VII between 1184 and 1191 for dedicating to his father ‘Dharanindravarman’, identified with the bodhisattva Lokeshvara. Pheah Khan was a university of Buddhist during that time (Freeman 2006).